A great surprise to be nominated for another Liebster Award!
Many thanks to Matt and Eva from Up Up and Away for the nomination. If you haven’t visited their blog, do so for some great and inspiring travel stories!
This is my 2nd nomination for the Liebster Award and this time, the rules are a little different.
“Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.”
Award Rules if you choose to accept
- Post about the award, thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog.
- Answer their questions about yourself.
- Nominate 5 –10 people with fewer than 1,000 followers, let them know via social media.
- Write your own set of questions for your nominees.
- Feel good about yourself for winning an award and pass it on.
Up Up and Away’s questions and my answers
1. Who is your favorite travel writer and why?
I’d have to say Michael Palin. Apart from his fame in Monty Python, he became a travel writer (also documentaries), and has been doing so for decades. You may have heard of the BBC Television series in the 1980s: Great Railway Journeys of which he was a part.
Mr Palin has a unique quality of throwing in his humour whilst writing about the most amazing places. And keeps his audience reading until the end but giving his audience a thirst for more information.
2. If a nature lover asks you for a place to go, where would you send that person?
Wow, a tough question as that depends on what type of nature the lover is into.
For stunning mountains, Zakopane Poland; for incredibly surreal salt flats where sometimes, a distinction between earth and sky does not exist then Salar de Uyuni, Boliva; for the highest (over 950 metres high) magnificent waterfall in the world then Angel Falls, Venezuela; and for fantastic diving then this has to be The Great Barrier Reef, Australia.
To be honest, there are so many stunning natural wonders in the world; too many to list and still too many to discover.
3. What is the best city you have ever traveled to and why?
New York. At the risk of sounding cliché, this city really does offer the visitor an amazing experience at a 24/7 exhausting pace, if you so wish.
From the Hudson River to Central Park and Times Square, the timeless Grand Central Terminal to the awe-inspiring Statue of Liberty, this diverse city is a melting pot of cultures, food, and experiences. Have I mentioned the countless museums and galleries?
4. What is your top travel app and why?
I don’t use one, should I?
Typically, WikiTravel is up-to-date so this is a great reference. Although not as great since the company was bought and sold a couple of times, The Lonely Planet comes in handy. However, Rough Guides is a better reference.
I’m old school and hardly ever have my mobile phone charged up, let alone so organise to have a Travel App uploaded!
5. What is the weirdest food you have ever eaten on the road?
I think this would have to be back in 2004, at a restaurant in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I ordered a chicken dish but I’m sure it was dog as it did not taste like any chicken or meat that I’ve eaten before.
The same thing happened in Yangon, Burma (Myanmar) in 2014. The menu listed “flesh with vegetables”…I’m not exactly sure what the “flesh” was on the plate.
- retratonz – Inspiring travel and photography with a purists’ philosophy
- Travel as they Grow – Jen and Jerry quit their jobs, bought a motorhome, and set off through Europe with their 18-month old. Expect great travel trips on travelling with a baby.
- Nena Baking Recipes – Nena provides delicious and simple recipes, whilst adding her artistic flair to decorating creations.
- Life in pictures, quotes and words – Silvija offers many great insights on life and also provides many unique videos on her site.
- London Wlogger – Stu takes you on extended walks around London providing tips and great photos from a local’s view-point.
- Changing Latitudes – With a goal to buy a sailing boat and sail the Caribbean, enjoy Dustin and Becky’s chronicle of their adventures.
- Mimosa Pudica – Patty’s passion for writing reveals itself in her beautiful poetry whilst matching verse with gorgeous photos.
My questions for nominees
- Is travel in your DNA and if so, explain why?
- What do you like most when visiting a blog site (content, photos, poetry, or other)?
- Are you at ease writing about yourself and sharing innermost thoughts in your blog, and why?
- Do you have any advice for those that are thinking of travelling overseas but afraid?
- How long do you spend on a blog site that you follow reading posts (1, 5, 10 minutes)?
- What is your preferred device/camera to take photos with and why?
- What is your ‘pièce de résistance’ signature dish you love to make?
If travel and photography run through your veins, then check out more photos at Nilla’s Photography.
Thanks again for the opportunity to respond to this great award!