It’s always a great surprise to receive a nomination from a fellow blogger and this time, the nomination is for the Real Neat Blog Award.
Although nominated back in September, just got around to writing my response. Many thanks for the nomination ANASA – creator of the great luxury-style travelling site. Can’t link to this blog as it’s currently down.
I have to admit that I’ve never heard of the Real Neat Blog Award.
After a little digging around, I found out that the award was started back in 2014 by Dear Kitty 1, to give bloggers more recognition. So, it’s only fair that I also share Kitty’s blog.
Although a blogger doesn’t really need to participate in any award nominations, I don’t mind as it gives me a chance to show my appreciation to other bloggers. Plus, it’s free exposure should you wish to participate. Now for the rules:
- Put the award logo on your blog.
- Answer 7 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
- Thank the people who nominated you, linking to their blogs.
- Nominate any number of bloggers you like, linking to their blogs.
- Let them know you nominated them (by commenting on their blog, etc.)
1. How and why did you start blogging?
Travelling for over thirty years, I’ve always kept travel journals – now living in my garage in Australia. I realised that nobody reads these and neither do I as although small, it’s not practical to travel with twenty journals. So, you could say I’ve always blogged, but just on paper.
I was part of the Matador Community’s free platform for bloggers. Not seriously involved and only posted a handful of blogs on this site. Then out of the blue a few years’ ago, an email arrived from Matador giving all bloggers one week to remove blog content from its site. Matador was closing down the Community, just before Christmas.
In a mad panic, I turned to WordPress, upgraded to a Premium Plan for the excellent support, launched my Image Earth Travel site, and started writing madly. Sadly, I discovered a month ago that WordPress has retired my current theme and no longer supported. Back to square one and selecting a new theme. I heavily customised my current site using CSS.
2. What makes you happy in life?
This may sound soppy, but seeing people happy and positive.
I don’t get on with negative miserable people, especially if the person really hasn’t got anything to be miserable about. I find negative people suck the life out of me and although it may sound selfish, an hour with a negative person is like spending a 24/7 month with that person – it’s extremely draining.
Doing the things that I love, especially travelling and photography. Writing also makes me extremely happy, as does my partner.
3. What is your hobby?
My hobbies are my passions: photography, writing, and travelling.
I started taking photos at age 10, started serious travelling solo-backpacking around the world at 22, and writing ever since.
My writing as a Technical Writer is very different and more clinical (my description) than creative writing. Honestly, it has taken me a while to make the transition from technical to a creative writer, which shows in my earlier blogs.
4. What inspires you?
Life. Passionate people. Nature. People empowering people. Not afraid of accepting a challenge and getting out of your comfort zone. Courage to change one’s situation. Art. Music. Much more…
5. If you could describe yourself in three words, what would they be?
Positive. Free-spirited. Stubborn. Whoops, that’s four words.
6. What do you hope to accomplish in 2018?
The replacement site has been a longer process than I anticipated as I’m self-hosting, but also changed themes as had problems with my first theme’s support. I also had issues trying to replicate my old site’s automated Cart system so after much research, dropped that function.
I’m now selecting and uploading photos and would like to launch with only 30 countries. Then I will add a country each week and better manage the remaining 30-plus countries.
7. What is your favourite food?
As a foodaholic, there are too many favourites to list, but I do love authentic Thai food. The flavours, variety, and spices are just sublime – my mouth is watering just thinking about this delicious cuisine.
I try and cook Thai here in Italy but it’s difficult getting certain base ingredients in the south and sometimes substituting doesn’t work.
- Talking Thailand – wonderful insight on Thailand from Gill and an ex-pat teaching English in Bangkok.
- Etiliyle – beautiful poetry and photography.
- The Eternal Traveller – travel adventures around Australia and the world.
- Emma & Nathan’s Travels – on the road since 2017 writing wonderful travel stories.
- Stella & Jay Show – cooking, crafts, chaos, and drinking involved.
- But a Smile Anyway – Ritu’s musings on life, the universe, and everything.
- Suzie Speaks – reflections on life.
- Jen’s Journal – brand new to blogging and needs your support.
My questions to nominees
- Do you prefer solo travelling or travelling with someone? Why?
- What is the very first country that you visited?
- Do you backpack or travel in luxury?
- How did you start blogging?
- Why did you choose your current blogging platform?
- From what part of the world are the most of your blog visits?
- Do you find advertising on a blog distracting?
Although not as prestigious as the Annual Bloggers Bash Awards held in London each year, I hope that you guys have time to participate in this award. Looking forward to reading your responses and getting to know you better…