Have you heard of Glastonbury Festival – the largest greenfield music and performing arts festival in the world?
This incredible festival draws around 180,000 festival-goers during its five days and 200,000 people on the last day. Postponed for the last several years due to COVID-19, finally, this five-day massive soiree of contemporary arts, electrifying fun, all-night endless partying, no sleep, and frivolity is back on!
The dates? From the 22nd to the 26th of June 2022 and I’m missing out this year!
As I can’t be there in 2022, I’m reliving the crazy and wonderful memories of the Glastonbury (Glasto) Festival with you, so, tell me which photo you like best?
Glasto is where anything goes and everything does go! The mantra is: what goes on at Glastonbury, stays at Glastonbury.
Where in England is Glastonbury Festival?
Although the name is Glastonbury Festival, the festival isn’t in the town of Glastonbury. Instead, the festival is held at Worthy Farm near the village of Pilton, which is around 5 miles from Glastonbury.
Fun facts from the 2019 festival
- Takes place across 900 acres (around 500 football pitches) in the mythical Vale of Avalon, Somerset, South-west England and spreads over 14 farms
- Festival capacity 203,000 – not including officials, police, and children under 13
- Over 3,000 performances across 100-plus stages
- 135,000 tickets sold in 36 minutes
- 175,000+ festival-goers with 50,000 more on Sunday (last day)
- Around 60,000 staff
- About 50 people are employed full time
- Around 250 volunteer Silver Hayes Fire Stewards
- Approximately 1,000 volunteer Stewards in total
- Glasto “costs about £40 million to hold of which about £2 million a year goes to charities” – Emily Eavis
- Ticket: £248 + £5 booking includes 5 nights of camping. More for a motorhome, caravan, or campervan
- The sale of single-use plastics was banned in 2019
- 180 reported incidents with only 71 official arrests
- Security for the 5 days costs around £5,000,000
- Glastonbury Festival official website
Having participated for 3 years as a volunteer steward, check out my previous posts with unique photos to get you in the groove. Even though we can’t be there this year, reminisce about this amazing festival with me…
Fly Away Ballooning allowed me to share this fabulous aerial video of the 2022 Glastonbury Festival, which gives you an idea of the expansive festival grounds.